Ok so I’m a new and learning cook, let me say that first off. So all things are new to me and I made this and still have no idea what piccata is. I picked this recipe because im on a diet (of course) and wanted fettucine but…well… ummm its like 800 calories, so i tried this. Its super good and totally fixed that craving. HOWEVER i am changing the directions because this took way too long to be practical in my everyday life.
So to start off get out three skillets and a pot and stick them on the oven. You may also want to turn your air conditioner up at this point because you are going to have all these burners going at once.
Pot for boiling pasta
pan or skillet for mushrooms
pan or skillet for chicken
pan or skillet for sauce mixture
in the pot put in water and past and start to boil.
in one pan put two teaspoons of light flavored olive oil – (for chicken) and turn heat to low
in another put one teaspoon of olive oil – (for mushrooms) and turn heat on low
in the last pan put sauce mixture. no heat yet
6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta – or whatever, I used bow tie because its what I had.
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided – or just pour a little in a bowl, (its just for dunking the chicken cutlets and then 5 teaspoons goes into the mixture part for the sauce.)
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided – i just sprinkled salt when needed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper – i just sprinkled pepper when needed
4 chicken cutlets, (3/4-1 pound total), trimmed – found a pack of four already sliced @ HEB -$3.00
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided – 2t in one pan 1t in another
1 10-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
3 large cloves garlic, minced – or 1 teaspoon already minced
1/2 cup white wine – all I had was white Zinfandel and mine turned out great anyway.
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed -TIP: found them at the grocery store on the isle w/ the olives
(most people probably already know this)
2 teaspoons butter – I only used 1 teaspoon to cut calories.
1. Start your pasta boiling.
2. In the pan with two teaspoons olive oil we are cooking chicken so get your cutlets and flip them around in some flour and put them in the pan on low. Make sure before you add them that the oil has been distributed around the pan to coat it. salt and pepper each side as it cooks. About 3 to 5 min on each side.
WHILE YOUR CHICKEN COOKS…
3. In the pan with one teaspoon of olive oil throw the mushrooms in on low, I just dumped the whole carton in.
4. While your chicken is heating up and your mushrooms are warming move to the empty skillet. Add the 1/2 c of wine and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic and start to simmer. Simmer until it reduces to about half.
5. STIR MUSHROOMS AND FLIP CHICKEN. The mushrooms will probably get done first so once they are nice and soft and brown pull them off and set aside.
7. Your CHICKEN SHOULD BE DONE, set it to the side.
8. Stir the sauce mixture till it begins to thicken, about 5 min. and then drop in 1teaspoon of butter, parsley and two tablespoons of rinsed capers. I didn’t measure my parsley I just snipped a little into the mixture till it looked pretty. Still till mixed and warm.
9. Drain your past (this was a typo I left because this is a good idea also but its supposed to be pasta). You may have already done this but if not do it now. After drained pour a little of the sauce over the top and toss.
10. Put it all together on a plate and eat it.
By cooking everything at once and mixing everything in the pots as I went along I shaved 28min off my first cooking time. Making the total time to cook and prepare now only 30 min. and it turned out just as good if not better!
about 340 calories per serving, makes four servings
here is the link to the original recipe.
Chicken Piccata with pasta and mushrooms